Barack Obama has once again tried to pull one over on the American people. Apparently some people think that just because a president talks good about the military, he supports them. This has got to be THE most anti-military president ever. America has a huge debt. That I understand, but to ask our military members to bare a huge burden for this debt is wrong. These men and women have sacrificed much so that the rest of us can live in freedom. Don’t we owe it to our veterans to at least give them what they were promised?
To pay for 10 years of wars, Congress, through the President’s Department of Defense and Veteran Affairs, is proposing 10 key cuts in benefits given to our military members.
• Increase healthcare premiums for military retirees on TRICARE
• Increase pharmaceutical fees for troops, families and retirees
• Eliminate presumptive service-connected conditions for disabled and ill veterans
• Lock out or increase fees for Department of Veterans Affairs Priority Groups 7 and 8 veterans
• Reduce cost-of-living allowances
• Freeze military pay
• End government subsidies to military commissaries
• Eliminate Department of Defense elementary schools stateside
• Eliminate the 20-year military retirement plan
• Eliminate DOD tuition reimbursement programs for service members
Everyone one of these draconian cuts hurts members of the military and their families. Bill Clinton first started this mess. He sought to cut health care coverage’s for millions of veterans in an effort to balance the budget. Now Obama has taken his cue from the former President and has proceeded to cut benefits promised to our military members. These are benefits promised to our veterans and as such are a breach of faith with our military and their families.
Like Bill Clinton before him, Barack Obama has an anti-military image he has failed to dispel. Most of our military that I know has nothing but disdain for the president. And there is little wonder considering the unprecedented cuts he is imposing on its members. They do not like or trust this president. Those who do not think these cuts will affect recruiting are fooling themselves. Our best and brightest will first search the civilian world for financial security for their families before going into the military.
Cuts to the members of our military is not the only way the President is undercutting our armed forces. President Obama has decided to impose draconian cuts to the Defense Department which displays his contempt for the military as a whole. As a result of these cuts, the United States faces a dangerous position. In a few short years, the US may not even be able to adequately protest itself. This is not the President we need to lead the world. We hired a leader and got a wimp. What we need is a real leader. And Obama is not it.